Friday, July 16, 2010

Shopping, Trafalgar Square, and the Marlborough Arms


Today was my first full day in London. I woke up around 8:15am slightly refreshed, but wishing I had slept a little longer. Though we turned off the lights at a reasonable hour last night, Darla and I couldn't fall asleep right away because of the outside noise. So this is something new that I've discovered: the walls of these ancient buildings are not very well insulated!

After our practical tour today, we stopped at the grocery store. There I encountered another "difference" between our societies. The individual paying for the items also bags them. I find this quite interesting, and I'd like to find out the rationale behind this.

Late in the afternoon Darla and I decided to visit the Thames. A detour for pedestrians left us walking in the wrong direction, and after much meandering and many wrong turns, we ended up in Trafalgar Square. We spent a few minutes here just taking in the array of architecture and snapping shots of our surroundings.

During the evening, we dined with our class in the Marlborough Arms. I had fish and chips (again) and also tried two new drinks: Pimm's Classic and Pimm's Pim Pom. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment