Thursday, July 15, 2010

From the beginning...


Greetings from England! Traveling to Europe has been a wish of mine for several years now. Beginning today -- July 15, 2010 -- I am participating in a study abroad program through the Florida State University.

My educational background is in literature, with a Master's degree in British literature. Some favorite authors of mine include Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Thomas Hardy, and the Brontes. I am also fond of British music and television / film. I am looking forward to sightseeing in London, visiting the areas that (until now) I have only read about in novels, and experiencing the culture in general.

I arrived in London at approximately 9:30 this morning along with my classmate Darla. Together, we managed to find our way from the Gatwick Airport to the flats where we are staying. The Gatwick Express cost about 17 pounds and lasted approximately 30 minutes. I enoyed this part of our journey, as we were able to relax and view the rolling landscape. The second part of our journey, however, kept me on my toes. I had expected mayhem with tens of people attempting to hail cabs simultaneously. Instead, I discovered an organized system with individuals lined up, politely waiting for the next available taxi. What else did I learn from this experience? I don't ever want to drive in London! I found myself simultaneoulsy terrified and awed by how many near misses our vehicle seemed to encounter. Whereas in America drivers typically remain several feet behind the car in front of them (as it is perceived rude to tailgate), it seems as though driving bumper to bumper is the norm here in the city.

In fact, London life in general seems to run on a much faster pace.

Well, that is a subject for another time...

No comments:

Post a Comment