Tuesday, July 20, 2010

High Tea at the British Museum

Today I enjoyed an afternoon tea with my classmates at the British Musuem. Not only was the event a delight to experience, but it was also educational. I have often heard of the smaller portions served in European countries--smaller, that is, compared to the healthy sized plates served in many American restaurants. This is also something that our professor has pointed out, and something that I have noticed at the food store. Sitting down to a proper high tea simply re-emphasized this notion. Each individual received their own three tier tray of goods. Though the selection as a whole proved filling, I couldn't help but notice the small portions of each food. For instance, the finger sandwiches probably equal less than a single sandwich back home. The treats, though varied and numerous, were bite-sized.

I wonder how effectively these smaller sized portions are in curbing the general population's inclination to ingest surplus food. Back home, it is so easy to consume more food than is necessary. I can see myself, for instance, sitting on the couch with a bag of potato chips in my hand. Though the first five chips might easily satisfy my craving, I grab 10-15 more without even realizing it. Because everything is so much smaller here, the individual has to stop and think about whether or not they want to spend those few extra pounds for another portion. Not only that, they think about whether or not they are actually hungry.

The really interesting part is that, while I find myself sometimes a little irritated at the smaller amounts that I'm receiving, I'm also somewhat relieved. Smaller portions encourage me to reflect and then act, rather than act compulsively. Does this make sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment