Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Walking down the street...

I've gotten so used to navigating my way through the London streets that I think I will actually miss them when I get home. I know that I will certainly miss the pedestrian lifestyle.

It took me a while to adapt to the fact that streets are not identified by street signs. Rather steet names are posted on buildings. Now I walk along and instantly glance upwards to see where I am and where I am going. I found myself doing this automatically in France; I hadn't even stopped to wonder if the French labeled their streets the same way, I just naturally continued this process.

It's funny how you find yourself adapting to a new culture without even realizing that you are doing so. I wonder how I will feel upon returning to the U.S. Will I miss not seeing street signs posted along building walls? Will I feel a pinch of disorientation? Will I go through a brief period of time where I have to readjust? It will be interesting to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment