Monday, August 2, 2010

Money Matters

Why do Europeans use so many coins?

Before coming abroad, I was somewhat apprehensive of using the local currency. I no previous experience outside of the country and I was concerned that I would not understand how to count the money. Thankfully my fears were completely unfounded.

What I don't understand though, is why the Europeans use so many coins.

For the most part, we stick to just four coins in the U.S. : the penny, nickel, dime, and quarter. Yet I have seen nearly twice as many coins in use in England. There is the 1 cent coin, 2 cent coin, 5 cent coin, 10 cent coin, 20 cent coin, 50 cent coin, 1 pound coin, and 2 pound coin. (Did I miss any? If so, I do apologize!) I wonder at the multitude of coins. The 2 cent and 2 pound coins seem superfluous to me. By implementing a 1 pound bill and eradicating the 2 pound coin, one's change purse would feel much lighter. I just don't get it. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining here. I just don't understand the point behind using so many coins. Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment