Wednesday, August 4, 2010

In perspective



Having spent three weeks in London, I've visited many places, seen several sites, and tasted various foods (with heavy emphasis on the goat cheese). Yet despite the fact that I've been here three weeks, I feel as though there is still so much left to do.

As an outsider, I have a great appreciation for the rich cultural life of the city. How could one ever get bored here? But at the same time, I wonder if Englanders take this situation for granted. The first few days I spent in London, for instance, I felt an intense awareness of the architectural diversity throughout the city. I felt particularly drawn towards the older structures with their ancient brick walls and ornamented facades. Yet as I became accustomed to the antiquity, and the days wore on, I found myself noticing it less and less. So I wonder... Do the natives realize how good they have it? If I lived here, would I appreciate having a musical theatre right down the street? I'd like to think that I would. But who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment